As a dog owner there is every chance that, at some point, you have spoiled your dog with a human type treat and, maybe this is a frequent event.
It’s tempting to give our dogs a variety of foods that might just not be the best for them, simply because we want to treat them and one thing that many people wonder is jam safe for dogs?.
Can dogs eat jam?
Dogs can consume jam in very small amounts, but it’s not recommended as a regular part of their diet.
Jam is high in sugars, which can lead to obesity and dental problems in dogs. Some jams may also contain artificial sweeteners, preservatives, or other additives that are not safe for dogs.
Moreover, certain types of jam may contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs, such as grapes in grape jam, which can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Always check the ingredients of any human food product before giving it to your pet.
If you wish to give your dog a sweet treat, consider offering fruits that are safe for dogs, like apples (without seeds) or blueberries, in moderation.
My dog likes jam can he have a little?
You should only ever give organic jam to a dog, one that contains no additives, preservatives or artificial sweeteners and then only in very small amounts on rare occasions.
If you are determined to give jam to your dog then you might have to resort to making your own or enlisting the help of the local Womens’ Institute to magic up some jam for you.
Seriously, it’s best not to give jam to your dog.
Is jam safe for dogs? At a glance
|Fruits (like strawberries, blueberries, etc.)- Sugar- Pectin- Citric Acid|
|High Sugar Content: Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and diabetes. Artificial Sweeteners (e.g., Xylitol): Highly toxic to dogs.|
Certain Fruits: Some fruits (like grapes) are toxic to dogs.
|Vitamins and Antioxidants: Found in fruit-based jams in small amounts.|
|Feeding jam to dogs should be avoided due to high sugar content |
and potential presence of toxic ingredients.
Always check the ingredients for harmful substances like xylitol.
Consult a veterinarian for advice specific to your dog.
What should I do if my dog has eaten jam?
First, you have to check your dog for any allergic signs such as hypersalivation/excessive drooling, watery eyes, difficult breathing or inflammation at any part of the body.
If your dog has not shown any of these symptoms, your dog is fine, and you do not have to worry much.
Next, you check the ingredients of jam. If the product contains Xylitol or grapes, contact a veterinarian or poison helpline immediately whether your dog shows any sign or not.
If it’s just sugar, gelatin, and berries (not grapes), chances are your dog will recover, but they may face some vomiting and diarrhoea.
Can dogs eat strawberry or raspberry jam?
If it contains no xylitol, it should not be fatal, but both of these jams have high sugar levels, which can still be bad for dogs.
If your dog is interested in strawberry or raspberry jam, try any alternative or offer some fresh fruit.
Fresh fruits such as strawberries are safe for dogs if given in moderation and have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Can dogs eat grape jam?
No, grapes can be fatal to dogs because they contain substances that dogs cannot metabolize and any type of grape based product including jams, juice, raisins etc can be fatal to a dog if eaten.
Grapes can cause kidney damage and, in severe cases, cause sudden death.
Typical ingredients of jam along with their benefits and side effects
Dogs don’t need any sweeteners or sweet treats because they are carnivores, i.e., eat meat.
However, they need some form of sugar for their normal metabolism. They get their sugar from carbohydrates such as vegetables, sweet potatoes, grains, etc.
But they should never really eat human desserts, cakes, chocolates, or raw sugar.
Side effects of sugar
Obesity: Foods with high sugar content are usually high in calories. These are empty calories that don’t fulfil your canine’s hunger, meaning your dog will keep eating.
It can easily lead to weight gain. Excess weight can significantly affect your dog health, including heart conditions, joint problems, and lethargy.
Vomiting and diarrhoea: Any new food or abrupt diet change can cause stomach upset in dogs. It is not uncommon for canines to experience vomiting and diarrhoea after eating sweet food or treats.
Hyperactivity: Dogs are generally less tolerant of sugar than humans. This means that only a small amount can cause a behaviour change, often in the worst-case scenario.
Dental health: Sugar reacts with bacteria to produce acid, which destroys teeth. A high sugar diet can cause tartar, cavities and dental work for your canine companion.
Fruit: Jams contain many fruit flavours. Some raw fruits are healthy for dogs ( low-calorie treat) if given in moderation, while other high-calorie fruits can be deadly for them.
Any artificial fruit flavour should be avoided at any cost
Below are the most popular and standard varieties of fruits which are toxic or compatible with canines.
Grapes: Toxic for dogs. Avoid at all costs. Even single grape may be toxic.
Raspberry: Suitable for dogs. In moderation, raspberries are good for canines, especially for senior dogs, as they can help with joint problems.
BlackBerry: Suitable for dogs. Blackberries are full of vitamin E and antioxidants and can rarely be given to your dogs.
Strawberry: Suitable for dogs. Strawberries are low in calories and act as an excellent option for a low-calorie dog treat.
Apricot: Suitable for dogs. As long as they are deseeded, small amounts of apricot treats are healthy for dogs.
But be careful apricots contain small cyanide amounts, which can be fatal if eaten in large quantities.
Many fruits are suitable for dogs. However, they should be fed raw instead of via jam.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener.
Xylitol is used as an alternative to sugar and commercial jam companies commonly use this product in jams and jellies because it contains 40% less sugar but has the same sweet taste.
Xylitol decreases blood sugar level and causes hypoglycemia which can be life-threatening. It can be deadly to dogs.
Those dogs who eat Xylitol accidentally, usually show signs of xylitol poisoning within 15-50 minutes.
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning:
Being unsteady with any posture
If you think that your dog has eaten something that contains Xylitol, you should call your vet as soon as possible.
Can I feed my dog jam?
What happens if my dog accidentally consumes jam?
Is there any safe alternative to jam for my dog?
Why is xylitol dangerous for dogs?
How can I ensure my dog’s diet is safe and balanced?
Last update on 2023-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API