What to do if your dog eats an anti bacterial wipe?

Affiliate Disclaimer

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post.

Anti bacterial wipes are often used to clean surfaces or hands and can be effective at killing bacteria. However, they can also be dangerous if ingested by pets.

If your dog has eaten an anti bacterial wipe, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as they may experience gastrointestinal irritation and ulceration. Treatment will likely involve administration of fluids and antibiotics. In some cases, surgery may be necessary. Prevention is always the best medicine, so be sure to keep these wipes out of your dog’s reach.

What are disinfectant wipes and why are they dangerous to dogs?

Disinfectant wipes are those pre-moistened, individually wrapped squares of cloth that have become increasingly popular in recent years as a way to clean surfaces and devices.

They usually contain quaternary ammonium salts (or “quats”), which are antimicrobial agents that can kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

While wipes are safe for humans, they can be very dangerous to dogs if ingested.

Quats can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, and can also lead to liver and kidney damage.

If your dog has eaten a disinfectant wipe, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

What should I do if my dog eats an anti bacterial wipe?

If your dog has eaten an anti-bacterial wipe, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian.

While most wipes are not toxic to dogs, they can cause stomach upset and vomiting.

My Dog Ate Absorbent Pad Meat Tray ...

Your vet will be able to determine if your dog needs to be seen and treated.

If the wipe was consumed recently, your vet may recommend giving your dog a dose of activated charcoal to help bind any toxins in the stomach and prevent them from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

They may also recommend giving your dog a bit of food or milk to help settle their stomach.

In most cases, dogs who have eaten an anti-bacterial wipe will be fine and will not need any treatment.

However, if your dog is vomiting, has diarrhea, or seems to be in pain, please call your veterinarian immediately.

What to do if your dog eats an anti bacterial wipe?
What to do if your dog eats an anti bacterial wipe?

Can you use anti bacterial wipes on dogs?

While anti bacterial wipes are safe for humans, they should not be used on dogs.

The chemicals in the wipes can cause irritation and dryness of the skin.

If your dog has a cut or wound, it is best to clean it with sterile saline solution or warm water.

If you must use a wipe, make sure it is unscented and alcohol-free.

Are disinfecting wipes safe for use on dogs

No. Disinfecting wipes are intended for use on surfaces, such as bathtubs, worktops and other places.

They are not intended for use on human beings and they are certainly not suitable for use on your dog or, for that matter, any other animal.

If you need to use any form of wipe on your dog then baby wipes are the best choice.

Are bleach based wipes safe for dogs

No. Bleach based wipes are not safe for use on dogs or any other animal.

Although they are not safe for use on dogs, providing that you use them properly around the home and store them so that your dog cannot get to them, you can continue to clean your home with them.

Does bleach affect dogs?

Yes. Bleach is a corrosive substance that contains chlorine and which can cause irritation and burns if it comes into contact with the skin.

Ingesting bleach can be fatal to dogs.

If you must use bleach around your home, make sure it is stored safely out of reach of your dog and always diluted before use.

Never use full-strength bleach on any surface.

Can I use alcohol wipes on my dog?

No. Alcohol wipes should not be used on dogs.

You should never use any form of alcohol to treat your dog or to clean any wounds.

Most, if not all, alcohol based products are toxic to dogs and they should never come into contact with your pet.

Always take the advice of your vet before using any products to treat your dog.

Final words

While anti bacterial wipes are safe for humans, they can be dangerous for dogs if ingested.

If your dog has eaten a disinfectant wipe, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

Most dogs who have eaten an anti-bacterial wipe will be fine, but some may need treatment for vomiting or diarrhea.

Never use alcohol wipes or any other types of wipe on your dog.

Many contain chemicals that can harm your pet and, if you do need to clean cuts or simply remove dirt then clean water is the best and safest option.

Read Next

How to tell if your dog has been stung by a bee

Ticks and fleas on dogs – what you need to know

Should dogs sleep in their owner’s beds?