Oat milk is a popular dairy-free milk substitute. It is made from oats, water and sometimes some added nutrients. Oat milk is processed and produced according to various processes and formulas. It is a pleasant drink for your dog.
Dogs can drink oat milk and it makes a special treat for most dogs who enjoy the taste. As it is full of nutrients oat milk can be a useful drink for dogs that are on a limited diet or can be used as an occasional drink to add extra nutrition into your dog’s diet.
Is oat milk safe for dogs?
Dogs don’t need milk once they are weaned. But if your pooch loves the taste of milk, a little non-dairy milk, like oat milk, is fine for many dogs as an occasional treat.
Remember, oat milk should only be given to your dog in moderation. It is not toxic but your dog might not be able to digest its excessive amount. This may cause some unpleasant side effects like upset stomach, diarrhoea, or vomiting.
The bottom line on oat milk? Moderation is the key.
Benefits of oat milk for dogs
Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of oat milk for dogs:
- Oat milk is low in allergens and irritants. Many dogs are lactose intolerant and oat milk is free of many types of allergens found in dairy milk.
- Oat milk is a good source of fibre, making it great for dogs with bowel irregularity issues.
- It is often enriched with nutrients including calcium, potassium, iron, and vitamins A and D.
- Great for your dog’s bone health because it contains a plethora of nutrients, minerals, and antioxidants.
- It is safe for dogs with gluten or wheat allergies.
- Oat milk helps to prevent anaemia and boost the immune system of your dog.
Few considerations before giving oat milk to dogs
Dogs are like children and they depend on us for everything. It is important to understand that as a dog owner, you are responsible for the health and wellbeing of your dog. Here are a few things that you must look at before giving oat milk to your pooch:
- Before feeding your dog with oat milk, you need to make sure your furry friend is not allergic to any of the ingredients in oat milk.
- Remember to control the amount of oat milk your dog drinks. You can consult your vet for a better idea of the amount of oat milk that you add to your dog’s diet.
- Make sure to choose unsweetened oat milk, as some varieties may be high in added sugars.
- Check out the ingredients carefully. Some brands contain Xylitol as a sugar substitute. It can cause life-threatening issues such as low blood sugar and liver injury in dogs.
- Organic, natural Oat Milk should be the only type of oat milk that you give. Amazon have some good organic choices.
How make oat milk for your dog
It is really easy to make your own oat milk for your dog and, if you do it yourself then you can be certain that it doesn’t contain any sugars or additives.
To make oat milk for your dog simply:
- Put 1 cup of rolled oats and 4 cups of water into a blender and blend on a high setting for about 45 seconds.
- Pour the contents of the blender through a fine towel into a jug or other container.
- You can use coffee filters to strain the milk, as long as the filter is fine enough to separate the liquid from the pulp.
It is that simple. This quick technique means that you can easily make small amounts of oat milk for your dog and you don’t need to be concerned about storing any excess.
Can dogs have vanilla oatmilk?
If you do decide to give oatmilk to your dog then you should be careful about flavoured options such as vanilla.
Many flavoured milks contain high levels of sugars and other additives that could be harmful for your dog.
Certain artificial sweeteners, such as Xylitol, can be found in a wide range of ‘human’ foods and can be very dangerous to dogs.
The VCA have a good article about Xylitol and the risks to dogs here.
How much oat milk should I give to my dog?
It’s important to remember that adult dogs do not need milk or any other alternative such as oat milk. Water is always the best option for a dog.
However, we all like to treat our pets from time to time and this is how you should view oat milk and how much – from time to time.
An occasional drink of oat milk will provide your dog with a nice treat that he will enjoy.
What is the best type of oat milk for a dog?
Organic oat milk is the only form that you should choose for your dog.
Check the ingredients to make sure that it contains no additives, sweeteners, sugars or artificial flavourings before you buy.
It is undeniable that your dog will enjoy the taste of oat milk. As a responsible dog parent, you must make sure that you satisfy their tastes safely.
The nutritional value in oat milk is very high and you should only give oat milk to your dog in small amounts to ensure that he/she doesn’t suffer any ill effects.
Last update on 2021-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API