Giardia is a nasty illness that one of my spaniels suffered from last year. This horrible illness is caused by a parasite that attacks the intestines and causes smelly and watery diarrhea and makes your dog very unwell.
The best food to feed to a dog with giardia will be something that is easy to digest and is bland with no flavourings. Our vet recommended mashed potato mixed in with canned tuna fish. When mashed together this forms a meal which is bland but which also contains nutrition while being attractive to dogs.
How often should I feed my dog if he has giardia?
You should always get the professional advice of your vet if you have any concerns about treatment or the health of your dog, they will be able to offer qualified advice for your pet.
From my experience of dealing with giardia in my dog, it is better to feed very small meals, several times a day, up to four times.
This allows your dog to get nutrition to help him to recover but this is delivered in small quantities which minimise the level of disruption to an already poorly pooch.
What else should I do if I think my dog has giardia?
You should take him to the vet’s who can prescribe him with medicines that can help to alleviate the symptoms and the discomfort of diarrhea and which will, at the same time, deal with the nasty parasite that causes the illness.
You should also make sure that your dog has access to his own supply of clean water, which you should replace regularly. It is important that you keep his dishes away from other dogs to prevent the risk of infection passing to them.
Keep your dog quiet, take him out frequently, on his own, as he will need to use the toilet, and make sure that you clean up any stools or diarrhea to prevent other dogs from potentially catching the illness.
Other food options for dogs with giardia
Many people have used a variety of foods to deal with giardia in their dogs, however, I have not used any of these, preferring to take the professional vet advice for my dogs.
This is not to say that these remedies and foods have worked for people, but I’m not making any recommendations, this is for information only.
- Probiotics – the positive effects of probiotics for improving gut health is widely known and many dog owners have used these when feeding their dogs that have giardia
- High fibre food – such as carrots,, swedes and others – cooked to make them easier to eat and digest
- Seeds – pumpkin seeds added to bland and softer meals
- Cloves – a US study found that the oil in cloves can assist in giardia treatment
- Garlic – although not normally suited to dogs, small quantities of garlic can help to deal with parasites
- ULTIMATE DOG DIGESTIVE AID - Get Enhanced Performance And Immune Support For Your Beloved Furry Canine Friend. Five Strains Of Probiotics For Dogs and Extra Digestive Enzymes and Inulin Prebiotic, Aid Digestion. They Can Promote Good Bacteria And Flora Which Is Healthy & Beneficial To The Gut, But Reduce Harmful Bacteria And Ease Sensitive Stomachs. Includes Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus Brevis, Bifidobacterium Animalis Lactis, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus
- KEEP YOUR DOG HAPPY & HEALTHY - Our Specially Chosen Digestive Enzymes, Which Include Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase And Bromelain, Support Digestive Function And The Breakdown And Absorption Of Foods In The Stomach. Provides Relief From Food Allergies, Wind, Flatulence, Colitis, Gas, Constipation, IBS, Bad Breath, Sickness, Yeast Infections, Leaky Gut, Cramps & Skin Problems, Preventing Itching and Scratching. Can Also Encourage A Healthy, Shiny Coat And Firm Stools
- A TASTE YOUR DOG WILL LOVE - Our Dog Probiotics Are A Yummy Chicken Flavour Meaning You Can Mix In With Food Or Administer Directly And Your Dog Will Think They Are Getting A Treat! Suitable For Young Puppies As Well As Older, More Senior Pooches. Keep Some In The Cupboard For Unexpected Problems!
- FIRST-CLASS MANUFACTURING - The Supplements Wise Pet Care Range is Manufactured in the UK to Strict GMP Standards using the Finest Grade Ingredients, Offering You Total Peace of Mind and the Very Best Quality Products
- SAVE MONEY - Buy 3 Or More Of ANY Of Our Pet Supplements Range Today And Receive A Massive £5 Off Your Order. All Supplied in Letterbox-Friendly Packaging Meaning No Waiting In Or Trips To The Sorting Office To Pick Up Your Delivery
Conclusion - What to feed a dog with giardia
My vet told me to use a bland food made from mashed potato and tinned tuna fish and I took his advice.
You should always base your decisions on professional advice from your veterninary surgeon.
Man people report that probiotics, high fibre foods and others have supported their dog’s recovery and these may be options that your vet could recommend.
Easyspanieltraining.com does not provide veterinary advice. Our aim is to provide the reader with information to enable them to make a good decision when making a purchase or caring for their dog. All content is therefore for informational purposes only. If you’re concerned about the health of your pet you should seek medical advice from a vet.
Last update on 2021-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API