Coconut milk is not the fluid that comes out of a coconut. The milk is made by grating the white flesh of the coconut into water. If little water is added then you get cream, and, as more water is used the result is coconut milk.
Dogs can drink coconut milk but you should only give your dog natural coconut milk that has no added sweeteners or other additives which could be harmful to your pooch. Coconut milk can have some benefits for dogs which can include helping the immune system.
What are the benefits of giving coconut milk to a dog?
Some dogs can benefit from an addition of coconut milk to their daily diet.
If provided in moderation coconut milk can help your dog to:
- Deal with viruses and help him to fight off infections
- Boost his immune system keeping him fit and healthy
- Support and help him to have healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Improve instances of bad breath
To avoid any problems when giving coconut milk to your dog, you should only ever give him organic coconut milk which will be free of any artificial sweeteners or other additives.
Nutrition in coconut milk for dogs
Coconut milk is an ideal milk for dogs but should be used carefully as it is high in saturated fats making it a rich source of calories.
It is also rich in vitamins and minerals but the levels can vary depending on production methods.
Typically a cup of coconut milk contains:
- Calories – 445
- Water – 164 grammes
- Protein – 4.5 grammes
- Fat – 48 grammes
- Carbohydrate – 6.5 grammes
Plus an additional array of vitamins and minerals including calcium and potassium.
- 100% NATURAL & CERTIFIED ORGANIC: No guar gum, just coconut, water & nothing else
- VERSATILE: Delicious in curries, soups, smoothies, overnight oats and more
- VEGAN FRIENDLY: Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- NON-BPA: Fully recyclable, easy open cans with non-BPA lining
- DONATION: For each product bought, Eat Wholesome donate seeds to farmers in need
Things to know when giving coconut milk to your dog
- Always make certain that the milk that you give to your dog is organic. You should always aim to provide your dog with the most natural products that you can, whether it is coconut milk or anything else – this is avoid things like sugars, sweeteners, presevatives and other additives.
- Don’t give your dog too much coconut milk. Dogs can be sensitive to getting too much of one food type and coconut milk can, if you give too much, cause your dog to have an upset stomach and diarrhea. It is also high in fat so too much could make your dog gain weight.
- Always watch your dog and be prepared to stop feeding. If your dog displays any signs of adverse reaction to coconut milk, such as retching, vomiting, being out of sorts then you should stop feeding and consider an alternative milk product.
How to give coconut milk to your dog
Like all foods you should introduce coconut milk into your dog’s diet gradually and in small amounts.
The best way to serve coconut milk to a dog is to simply put a small amount into a small bowl for him to drink. You can gradually increase the amount which for a large dog should be no more than about a quarter of a pint daily and less for smaller breeds.
Another great way to serve is to make ice cubes from the milk – on a hot day when your dog is thirsty they can make a nice refreshing treat for him.
- NATURAL AND ORGANIC COCONUT MILK. Bringing a little luxury to dishes, our silky coconut milk can be used in everything from aromatic curries to a variety of desserts such as dairy-free ice cream, Winner of the Great Taste Awards
- NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS, NO EMULSIFIERS OR STABILISERS. Pressed from coconut kernels, our natural coconut milk contains only coconut and water no guar gum, as a result, the coconut fat and water content can separate, but this has no impact on the final quality of the product: simply stir into warm dishes or blend the contents to combine.
- VERSATILE INGREDIENT. Use as a vegan cream substitute and pour straight into plain rice or chickpea dahls to add subtle sweetness, or try a little stirred into your morning smoothie for a tropical twist
- FREE FROM CHEMICAL PESTICIDES, HERBICIDES AND NEVER GMO. 100 Percent Completely Natural. Healthy food has its roots in healthy soil, this is why, at Biona Organic, we continually reinvest in the organic farming industry, whatever the ingredient, our farmers never, ever use chemical pesticides and herbicides or grow genetically modified crops
- HEALTHIER FUTURE. Built on an unwavering commitment to 100 Percent organic, ethically and sustainably sourced food, Biona Organic began life on a kitchen table in London 30 years ago, now bringing more than 400 organic products to lovers of good food
To sum up
Dogs can drink coconut milk but, like all things, if you plan to introduce coconut milk into your dog’s diet you should do it slowly and carefully and watch your dog for any adverse reaction.
Most milks are high calorie so don’t give too much and don’t give it too often.
- Best Organic Dog Food for Gundogs
- Best Spaniel Puppy Food
- Can a dog eat baked beans?
- Can a dog eat black pudding?
- Can a dog eat cream of chicken soup?
- Can a dog have Weetabix?
Last update on 2022-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API