The answer to the question “Can Cavalier King Charles Spaniels swim?” is yes. They can swim, but this does not necessarily mean that they enjoy swimming. Some Cavaliers do not even like water and if your dog objects to bath time then swimming might not be fun for him. For those that do, swimming can be an excellent form of exercise and a great source of fun and entertainment on hot days
How to Teach your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to Swim?
If you would like to go swimming with your Cavalier King Charles, you should start everything right from scratch.
Some dogs know to swim on their own, but others might not and will need more time and perhaps some help to get going.
It is quite common that dogs make mistakes while swimming, but you can teach your dog in the right way. If your dog does not know to swim, you can teach him with the following ways given below:
- You have to get ready when you introduce your Cavalier to water for the first time. Choose a nice warm day when your dog is more likely to want to get wet.
- Most dogs paddle with their front paws and it is quite normal for a novice swimmer to splash a lot when he first starts out.
- With some dogs, you may have to teach your Cavalier to use his back legs also by giving support to his back legs.
- Once your Cavalier gets comfortable, you can provide him with a dog life vest until he learns to swim by himself.
Certain Things to Consider Before You Go Swimming With Your Spaniel
Even though you can have a lot of fun swimming with your Cavalier, you should consider certain things beforehand, which are as follows.
- It is essential to make swimming with your Spaniel safer.
- No matter how good your dog swim, accidents might occur.
- Therefore, you should get pet insurance before you go swimming with your dog.
- Do not swim with your dog in severe conditions like rough, cold, choppy water, or heavy rain.
- It is advisable to swim in the warmer summer months.
- Avoid swimming in the colder months as it can lead to health issues like hypothermia.
- Similarly, avoid swimming with your dog in difficult water conditions. Swimming in lakes and the sea can be dangerous for your dog than swimming in a confined pool.
- You must keep your dog clean and dry right after swimming, specifically his ears. Water in his ears could lead to an ear infection.
- It is recommendable to wash and clean your Spaniel’s ears with a good-quality cleaning solution to avoid such issues.
- Get a good-quality dog life vest for your Cavalier so that your dog will be safe against drowning.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel swimming in the sea
Of course, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels can swim in the sea, lakes, outdoor or dog pools, etc.
However, some spaniels need to be taught, and some swim on their own.
If your Cavalier does not know swimming, you can teach him using the above-mentioned ways.
Also, you should take care of certain things given above before you go swimming with your dog.
By keeping all the points in mind, you are making your dog swimming safer than ever.
As an additional swimming tip, you should train your dog to enter and exit the water safely beforehand.
This way, you can have the safest and enjoyable swimming with your dog.
Last update on 2021-07-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API