Most people are familiar with Weetabix, the wholegrain breakfast cereal that looks like cardboard until it is mixed with milk.
Promoted as a healthy breakfast option for people, Weetabix is an easy to prepare food that many people enjoy, so it’s perfectly natural for them to wonder if their dogs can eat it?
Weetabix is a heavily processed food that is not suitable for dogs and you should not feed it to your canine companion. Although it is a wholegrain food it contains sugars and other additives that are unsuitable for dogs. There are much better things to feed a dog and you should avoid giving him any type of human cereals, including Weetabix.
What's wrong with Weetabix for dogs?
The simple answer would be that Weetabix is meant for humans and your dog is not a human. There are many human foods that can be problematic for dogs and products such as Weetabix can upset a dog’s stomach.
- Weetabix contains high levels of sugar. In a single serving of Weetabix there are over 160 calories which are derived from the sugar in the cereal. One of the key risks of giving this food is that of weight gain. Even a large dog will pile on the pounds if he consumes too much Weetabix.
- Dogs should really be fed meat based products. Dogs require a meat based source of protein to ensure that they develop and remain in the best possible condition. Grains, such as Weetabix contain high levels of carbohydrate but poor providers of protein and they offer very little, if any benefit, to dogs.
- Weetabix is a processed food. Although many people may view Weetabix as a natural product, it is in fact a processed food that contains a range of additives and minerals, along with other ingredients, that are unsuitable for dogs to consume.
- Feeding weetabix to your dog could result in an allergic reaction in dogs that are gluten intolerant.
My dog ate Weetabix, will he be okay?
You should monitor his health and behaviour and if you have any concerns, such as he becomes lethargic or starts trembling or vomits a lot, then you should seek the advice of your vet.
Although Weetabix is unlikely to make your dog seriously unwell, different dogs can react in different ways and a dog that has a wheat intolerance may need veterinary support.
Can dogs have any breakfast cereals?
Breakfast cereals have been designed for human beings and truthfully they should only be eaten by humans.
Although your dog may beg for cereal and may seem to enjoy eating it, there is a good chance that the cereal is not good for him and, if he eats too much, might make hin unwell.
If you wish to have breakfast with your dog then why don’t you think about getting him something made for dogs, that is safe for him to eat and which he will enjoy.
There are some great choices on Amazon and one of our dog’s favourites is this breakfast food.
Best Dog Breakfasts
1. Lily's Breakfast Crunch
- 30% Freshly Prepared Meat: Chicken 26% Turkey 4%
- Traditionally Baked in Trays
- No Derivatives, Preservatives or Fillers
- Easy on the Tummy
- Made in the EU
2. Lily's Great British Breakfast for Dogs
- Nutritionally complete grain free recipe for adult dogs 4+ months
- Made with 40% venison saucage meat and 20% ham
- Lean and protein-rich venison sausage meat, delicious ham, egg and fibre-packed haricot beans
- Contains healthy herbs and botanicals that help improve your dog's coat
- No derivatives, preservatives or fillers - all natural healthy goodness
3. Forthglade Wet Dog Variety Pack
- This wet dog food vareity pack, consists of 4 x chicken, 4 x Turkey & 4 Chicken with Liver
- Very high meat content of 90% which provides a great source of protein for your dogs aged 2 months and above
- Our complementary dog food is grain free which is perfect for dogs with sensitive tummies
- No sugars, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Easy to digest and packed with nutrients and natural goodness
- Forthglade's natural high meat wet dog food is made in Devon, UK
4. Bonio Dog Biscuits
- Oven-baked with carefully selected ingredients to help keep your dog supported.
- Low in fat to help your dog maintain a good body condition.
- Our tasty treats help keep teeth and gums healthy. The crunchy texture helps reduce the build up of tartar and remove plaque.
- A complementary pet food for your dog with sources of fibre to help support healthy digestion.
- We use carefully thought through ingredients including wholegrains in our delicious dog food.
If you are looking to give breakfast to your dog then choose a food that is suitable for him and safe for him to eat – any of the above meals are intended for dogs and will make a nice breakfast treat for him.
Weetabix is meant for humans, feed dog food to your dog and he will stay fit and healthy.
Last update on 2021-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API