The best way to catch a pigeon for dog training is with a trap, either home made or bought.
If you want to use a bird launcher or be consistent with steadiness training for your spaniel, then there’s no option, you need to learn how to catch pigeons for dog training to make sure that your training sessions are as productive as you want them to be.
If you choose to use a bird launcher then you are going to need a source of birds to use in the launcher ( unless you use dummies of course ).
Training dummies will work for a young dog for a while, but, after a period of time, and to progress with your spaniel‘s training, you will need to progress onto more exciting and live birds, and, you’ll need a source of birds for your launcher to keep your training on track.
At a glance our top 4 humane pigeon traps
Why are pigeons good for dog training?
Pigeons are ideal birds for all manner of dog training exercises and work really well when spaniel training for hunting, flushing and steadiness.
Firstly, pigeons are plentiful and, in most countries are classed as vermin, so there is generally no real issue or problem faced when catching them and using them for training. As long as they are not mistreated most areas appreciate pigeon control.
Pigeons are relatively easy to keep and look after, a simple pigeon coop ( house ) can be made from a shed to keep your birds in. If your birds are really clever then they’ll return after being released during training, otherwise you’ll have to catch more.
They are also hardy and tough birds. Just look around, it doesn’t matter where you are in the world, there will be pigeons, more than any other bird.
Are pigeons good birds for launchers?
Pigeons are good birds to use in a launcher as they will generally stay quiet and calm when settled. Before the invention of bird launchers, many dog trainers would catch pigeons and ‘dizzy’ them. This essentially meant that the trainer would spin the bird around carefully in his hands, until the bird went dizzy. The pigeon could then be placed into deep grass where it would remain until the dog found it, and it would then fly away.
This is the same scenario that we are looking to re-create when we use a bird launcher, only now we have more control.
Also, when pigeons are released, they flush well, flap and make a noise, which is always good for a young dog, and they have a game scent which helps the dog to develop his scenting and hunting ability.
How do you trap pigeons easily?
Pigeons are greedy birds and will eat almost anything. The easiest way to trap pigeons is with bait and some sort of trap or net.
Birds. however, are generally very cautious creatures and wary of any changes in their environment, so you can’t just set a trap and hope to catch a pigeon. You’ll need to take your time.
Firstly, you will need some form of bait. bread is pretty good as is cooked rice that you might have left over from the kitchen.
You can also use a purpose produced grain to catch pigeons such as this Green Split Peas Grain on Amazon.
Taking your ‘bait’ sprinkle it onto the ground in the area where you are going to put a trap and do this for about 4 days before you get your trap out.
The pigeons will come and eat the grain and, if you are observant, you’ll get a good idea of the time that they visit to feed.
After a few days, take your pigeon trap and place it in the area where the pigeons have been feeding, BUT, don’t set it yet. The pigeons won’t come back for a day or two after the appearance of the trap ( as they won’t like it ).
Just keep putting the bait out until they ignore the trap.
After about 3 days, add your bait, bread, grain, to the trap and put less outside. The idea now is to get the pigeons into the trap so we can catch them for dog training.
The only step now is to be patient. The key rule from this point one is to check the trap at least twice a day as you do not want to have a bird stuck in there for longer than necessary, you should also leave the trap in the same spot for at least a week before considering moving it to another area.
What is the best bait to trap pigeons?
Pigeons tend to be scavengers but whole grain is considered to be the best bait as smaller birds cannot eat the large grains.
You have several choices for pigeon bait which include whole grains, figs, popcorn, sunflower seeds, peanuts and bread.
How to catch a pigeon with a box?
To catch a pigeon with a box you will need:
A box, a heavy cardboard box will do the job.
Some string or cord
Some of your bait ( that the pigeons have got used to eating ).
Taking your box, place it in the area that you have been baiting with your grain/bread etc. Get your stick and tie one end of the cord around it. The cord will need to be about 20 to 30 feet long.
Then, get your stick and prop one side of the box up with it, reel out the cord, and go and hide behind a bush/tree..somewhere where you can see the box easily.
You’ll then need to be patient and wait. When the pigeons arrive, wait until one goes under the box to eat the grains, and then, pull then cord to release the stick – the box will fall and hopefully catch the pigeon!
How to make an automatic pigeon trap with a cardboard box
Cardboard boxes are ideal for catching pigeons with, they are strong, light and, in most cases, free.
We can use the stick aand string method above, but it would be much better if there was a way to make an automatic pigeon trap from a cardboard box.
See how you can make your own automatic pigeon trap from a cardboard box and few other easy to find things.
How do you catch a pigeon by hand?
It’s not easy. Birds have great eyesight and often even better reactions.
Keeping your eye on the pigeon that you want to catch, get down low and slowly approach the bird from the rear.
The hand that you plan to capture the bird with will need to ‘hover’ above the bird and, once ready, in a fast downward motion, you grab the bird carefully but firmly.
Good luck with that.
Can you pick up a pigeon?
Yes, unless you have some sort of allergy then it is perfectly safe to pick up a pigeon.
The best way to pick a pigeon up is two handed, one hand will need to go underneath the pigeon’s chest while the other hand goes across the bird’s back to hold it’s wings down so that it doesn’t flap around.
You’ll need to be firm but gentle so that you do not injure the bird. Do not let it flap or it will hurt itself.
Pigeon Traps For Dog Training
Catching pigeons manually isn’t the easiest of activities and chances are that if you need to catch pigeons for dog training then you’ll spend more time pigeon catching than you will training your spaniels.
If you don’t fancy using a box, your hands or hiding behind bushes to catch a pigeon for your dog training then you’ll be pleased to know that there is a range of pigeon traps available that will do the job for you.
Best Pigeon Traps For Dog Training
If you are going to use pigeons for your spaniel training and are thinking of using a bird launcher then you’ll need a supply of pigeons.
It’s possible to buy homing pigeons that you can use, but these can be expensive both to buy, house and feed.
Apart from catching pigeons manually ( which is often a challenge ) the best option is to use a humane bird trap and we’ve reviewed some of the most effective traps that can be used for catching pigeons quickly and easily to help you with your dog training sessions.
Top 5 Best Pigeon Traps Review
Bird B Gone Pigeon Trap with Shade, Food and Water Containers
Bird B Gone is the world’s leading manufacturer of bird control products.
Based In California, US, the business specialise in the development and production of humane bird control products which include traps, spikes, netting, deterrents and a whole range of products to control pigeons and other birds.
The business was formed in 1992 and has grown to become a world leader in humane bird control solutions.
This pigeon trap is a rectangular wire cage that has a trap door. The cage has a shade to protect the bird and also comes with a water container and food dispenser.
This pigeon trap is an ideal way to catch pigeons for use with your dog training and your bird launcher.
The trap will catch and hold a maximum of 12 pigeons and the attached feeder and water containers make sure that the birds are safe until the trap is emptied.
The trap has a total of 3 doors for trapping, all of which are one way to prevent captured birds from escaping.
A center door on the top allows for easy access to take the birds out.
The trap also has a sunshade to protect the pigeons while they are in the cage.
This trap weighs 10 pounds.
What we like
An easy to use trap that is lightweight and holds several birds.
Water, food and shade all considered and provided for.
What we don’t like
Need to be careful over placement and disguise cage to get the best results.
- Three one-way entry doors with door guard
- Centred top access doors for easy removal of birds
- Includes water container and feeder Pan
- Pigeon capacity is approximately 12 birds
- Lightweight trap - 10 pounds
OKII provide a wide range of industrial tools and accessories for a wide variety of sectors and needs.
Among their equipment range is the area of pest control and humane bird traps. Although not specialists within the sector the business offer a wide range of bird control measures and traps that work effectively and will help you to capture live pigeons, humanely, for your spaniel training sessions.
This trap is made from a net which is spring loaded and, when set, operates by flipping closed.
The trap has green netting with the surround and mechanism being made from metal.
This trap is a 20cm net that is made from heavy duty materials and is suitable for catching single pigeons.
The netting is made from polyurethane and the frame is manufactured from steel.
The trap is easy to use and is lightweight making it easy to carry around and set up.
What we like
A cheap, lightweight and easy to use trap.
Portable and can be easily re-located.
What we don’t like
Only holds one bird and bird can get trapped in the netting.
Steel frame is prone to rusting.
Smaller than it looks.
- Package included:, 1 Pcs Bird Trap,
Pied Piper Pigeon Trap Model 603
Pied Piper are based in Texas, US and manufacture around 200 to 300 humane bird traps daily.
They have been supplying humane birds traps since 1986 and now ship their products all across the United States of America.
In addition to traps the business also manufacture a wide range of agricultural equipment and parts.
This trap is a wire trap that is for the humane capture of birds. There is a one way door on the top of the trap which is used for the safe removal of birds, and two spring doors on the sides for the capture of birds.
This automatic humane bird trap is constructed from 14 gauge galvanized 1 x 1 steel mesh.
The trap has two one way sprung steel rod gates and a top hatch for easy removal of birds.
It comes pre-assembled and will hold 15 pigeons maximum.
This is an ideal trap to use for capturing pigeons if you are able to place it in a sheltered area and inspect regularly.
What we like
Well made trap from a trap specialist
Galavanized steel will mean long life
What we don’t like
Heavy – 47 pounds
- Discover the sensationally easy but effective trap now. With the tried and tested construction, quick catching success is guaranteed, save time through the practical multiple catcher.
- Your animal trap comes already assembled and ready to use. With the live catching method approved by experts, you can protect your car, roof, house, garden and domestic animals reliably from different animals: finally peace and quiet again.
- No escape:after entering the catching section, the chamber is closed off reliably by a trapdoor, making it impossible for the bird to escape. Capture your prey gently and alive.
- You will be impressed! The extra powder coating makes your round trap a weather-resistant and robust catching cave. Easy to clean and reusable. Rust has no chance.
- With its 75 x 30 cm live trap, it is easy to catch animals such as: pigeons, ravens, magpies, sparrows or similarly sized birds. Equip yourself now with a tried and tested trap for your usage purposes.
Kness Bird Trap, 17-1/4 in. L, 12-1/4 in. W
Kness are a leading business in the field of humane pest control and bird capture.
Their Kage All Bird Traps are humane traps designed to capture a range of birds, including pigeons which can then be later released or relocated, or, in the case of a dog trainer, used in a bird launcher and then released safely.
Each Kness product is hand tested before being shipped and the company pride itself on only using the highest quality materials for construction.
Kness was founded in 1924 and the business is based in the mid western USA.
This Kness Bird Trap is a mesh cage type trap that can be used to catch a range of birds including pigeons.
The trap is made from heavy duty, powder coated and galvanized steel mesh which is rust and corrosion resistant for years of use.
The trap is colored green which means that it will blend in well when in use.
This trap will hold a maximum of 12 pigeons making it ideal as a set and leave trap to collect a quantity of birds for your training and later release.
What we like
Well made, powder coated and galvanized construction for long life and useability
Made by industry experts
Colored green for disguise
What we don’t like
Not as many features as some of the competition
- Larsen Mate
- UK Made by Trapman-store
- Single Catching compartment
- Arrives Built just requires unfolding, Easy to Assemble and set
- comes with split perches
Conclusion Best Pigeon Trap Review
We’ve looked at and considered a few of the pigeon traps that are available. All of these traps are humane traps, safely capturing pigeons without injuring them.
They will all provide you with the opportunity to catch pigeons which you can then quickly use for your dog training sessions, either in a bird launcher or by ‘dizzying’ the pigeon.
Our top bird pigeon trap is the Bird B Gone Trap – the provision of food, water and shade, helps the birds to be comfortable after they have been captured, and, in our view this was a great addition to an already great trap.
The other traps, although perfectly suitable and functional did not provide this level of features.
Best Selling Humane Pigeon Traps
If you are still looking for a humane pigeon trap to help you with your dog training then the best seller list below may help you.
These are the Top 10 Best Selling Pigeon Traps that other people are buying now from Amazon.
- Ready to use cage trap: This humane trap is delivered fully-assembled to catch rat without killing or harming them. Simply bait and set the trap before positioning. Full instructions are provided on-pack. Trap dimensions: 36 x 14 x 16 cm
- Lifetime promise: The cage trap is built from long-lasting, galvanised metal. The animal trap is rust-resistant and weatherproof so can be used outside year-round
- Unique spring-loaded door: more efficient than gravity-led doors, ideal for humanely catching fast-paced rats, securely holding them before they can be released unharmed
- Indoor and outdoor use: Suitable for indoor and outdoor use in homes, gardens, around sheds, garages and outbuildings; can also be used on farms or commercial premises
- Protects animal and user: This humane animal cage trap has a hand plate underneath the carrier handle for easy handling, protecting the user's hand while carrying the cage from any scratches or bites
- ➔ RAT & MOUSE TRAPS THAT ACTUALLY WORK! - Ratkil rodent cage trap is a large, heavy duty cage trap made from lightweight aluminium that is thick and durable which prevents rodents from chewing or clawing their way out.
- ➔ SAFE FOR USE AROUND CHILDREN AND PETS: A fully secure rodent cage that is suitable for use both indoors and outdoors. Our rat and mouse cage trap is the perfect cost effective solution if you don't want to harm the animal/rodent and if you don't want to keep on buying rat poison or mouse poison.
- ➔ HIGHLY EFFECTIVE HUMANE CAGE TRAP FOR PEST CONTROL: Ratkil traps use a high sensitive trigger and auto-lock feature that prevents rodents from escaping once they are caught. This live catch trap is suitable for rats, mice, moles, squirrels, rodents and much more!
- ➔ EASY TO SET UP AND USE - This rat & mouse trap is delivered to you fully assembled. Simply bait & set the trap when you are ready to use. This trap is suitable for indoor and outdoor use in homes, gardens, sheds, lofts, garages, cellars, in farm houses or anywhere where you see rodent activity.
- ➔ BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - Does this come with a money back guarantee? YES! Your purchase comes with a full 30 day no-risk, no-nonsense 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- Official Oypla Branded Product - Brand New Free UK Delivery
- Ideal for catching squirrels, rats and other similar sized nuisance animals
- Easy-to-set with positive spring-loaded trigger action
- Heavy duty metal construction
- Approximate Size: 61.5 x 19 x 21cm
- Dimensions and durability: 78.5 x 26.5 x 29 cm. Live trap is made of a robust for a long service life and is galvanised for maximum corrosion resistance.
- Safe and human: protect the pet with smooth inner edges. The release bar is outside the trap so that animals cannot damage it.
- Easy storage: suitable for outdoor and indoor use. Live trap animal trap is delivered in a flat, collapsed state. If you don't need to use it as in winter, you can fold it again.
- Multi catch defence for various animals, such as rabbits, voles, hamsters, sea pigs, rabbits, mice, rats, martens, cats or etc.
- Customer Care: We are dedicated to provide premium products for you and offer impeccable customer care to you. Don’t wait any longer and just enjoy your ideal products today!
- 26.5 x 14.2 x 11.3 CM, suitable for rats, mice and chipmunks
- No kill animal trap, catch and relocate small rodents easily
- Ease of use, detailed user manual included
- High sensitive trigger and auto door lock to prevent animals from escaping
- Easy to clean, reusable for indoors and outdoors
- 【100% Humane Mouse Traps】: No kill the mice, this kind of humane mouse traps have endorsed by humane societies worldwide to be your right choice.
- 【Sensitive & Effective】: Once the mouse is attracted by the baits inside and enter it, it will trigger the trap mechanism, the door will lock instantly and mouse caught.
- 【Safe for Children and Pets】: No harmful and no hurt, Keep children and pets out of safety problem.
- 【Easy to Use】: Just open the door, put baits like peanuts or butter, caught the mouse, and carry the trap to release mouse without touch it.
- 【High Quality】: Iron plate reinforced door against chewing and high quality ABS material to let people use many times. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems about our mouse traps.
- Humane Easy to set, effective
- UK mainland delivery only
- Professional Rabbit Trap
- UK After-sales support for as long as you own the trap
- TheTrapMan leading UK manufacturer
- Ready to use cage trap: This humane trap is delivered fully-assembled to catch rats and squirrels without killing or harming them
- Long-lasting design: Lasting, galvanised cage trap with easy-to-set spring-loaded trigger action door, ideal for catching fast-paced pests. Made from rust- and corrosion-resistant steel. Trap size is 44 x 19 x 19 cm
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use: Position the cage trap in homes, gardens, around sheds, garages and outbuildings. It can also be used on farms or commercial premises
- Promotes good animal welfare: Humane trap has a protective hand plate and carrier handle for easy handling, protecting the carrier’s hand from bites and scratches. Hand plate also offers a degree of shade and shelter from the elements to the trapped animal before release. A humane alternative to kill traps
- Easy to set: Trap simply requires baiting and setting before positioning. Ful on-pack instructions are provided
Last update on 2022-03-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API