It’s a fact that, like people, your dog will get older and may struggle to get into or out of your car and you will need to consider how you are going to help him.
Dogs can also sustain injuries and ailments that can affect their mobility which can also impact their ability to jump and climb – making getting into the car difficult.
If you are able to then carefully lifting your dog into the vehicle, supporting his hindquarters, is the safest option. Should your dog be large or you are unable to lift him then you may wish to consider using a ramp or steps that have been designed for dogs to climb in and out of cars.
How do I get my dog into the car if he can’t do it himself?
Try to encourage your dog to get his front paws onto the bumper or threshold of the boot or tailgate, this will take some of his weight making it easier for you to lift him.
Carefully support the rear of your dog using both hands and forearms and then gently but swiftly lift him into the car.
Make sure that you don’t put your hands under your dog’s stomach and always support him by his backside and the top of his hind legs so that you don’t injure him.
Remember to lift carefully using the power of your legs rather than your back – so that you don’t injure yourself.
Try a dog ramp or set of dog stairs
This might sound bizarre but you can get dog ramps and stairs that have been specifically designed for use with vehicles.
These ramps typically fold up so that they can fit into the rear of the car and are often coated with an anti slip material or coating, making things easier and safer for your dog.
Most ramps and stairs are designed to be ‘universal’ as opposed to being designed for specific makes or models of cars and you will need to check to ensure that any ramp that you like will work for your vehicle while providing a gradual slope.
Look for a ramp or stairs that are lightweight, will fold up and that is strong enough to support the weight of your dog when he is getting into the car.
Car accessibility choices for dogs – overview
Hewitt & Blue Large Dog Car Ramp
- EASY TO USE: Our ramp is lightweight but sturdy, it glides open in seconds and is the easiest way to get your pet in and out of your vehicle. It's strong enough, even for the heaviest of dogs.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, STRONG AND DURABLE: Weighing just 6.3kg, It’s also fully adjustable - great for any boot height.
- SUREGRIP TECHNOLOGY: The surface is non slip even in wet conditions making your dog feel safe and secure. Raised guide rails keep your dog on the ramp.
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY: We are sure your dog will benefit from using our ramp. We use premium grade materials and offer a 5-year warranty. Buy with confidence.
- DESIGNED FOR LARGE DOGS: Reinforced aluminium keeps your dog safe and secure, the ramp will not flex or bend. Fully adjustable, extending from 99 cm to 182 cm in a matter of seconds.
This large dog car ramp is perfect for helping your furry friend get into the car.
Weighing just 6.3kg, it’s also fully adjustable and extends from 99 cm to 182 cm in a matter of seconds, so it can be used with any car.
The surface is non slip even in wet conditions, and raised guide rails keep your dog on the ramp. It’s strong enough, even for the heaviest of dogs.
PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Dog Ramp
- CONTINUE ADVENTURES TOGETHER: Use the telescoping ramp to help your best friend get in and out of your car, minivan or 4X4 all by themselves to improve road trips together
- ADJUSTABLE SIZING: The adjustable telescoping ramp allows you to help your pet get in and out of different size vehicles; ramp measures 99-183 cm L x 43 cm W x 10 cm H
- DURABLE: Tough, strong aluminium material supports up to 180 kg
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing only 6 kg the ramp is easy to carry and lift in and out of the car between stops
- NO SLIPPING: High-traction surface and side rails keep your furry friend from slipping or falling when walking on the ramp
The PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Dog Ramp is perfect for giving your pup easy access into your car or truck.
This ramp is lightweight and easily adjustable, making it a great choice for any size dog.
The high-traction surface ensures a safe and steady walk up the ramp, while the four rubber feet keep it stable during use.
Plus, it comes with a convenient carry handle for easy transport.
COLORFEY Dog Ramp Stair Steps
- 🐶【DOG STEPS vs DOG RAMP】COLORFEY car dog steps is the perfect solution for large dogs, Medium dogs and old pets who have hip dysplasia or weak mobility problems, and its easy to set up about 2 seconds and the pack away size smaller, it is sturdy enough and the treads are quite solid and non slip, figure out cheaper iron dog steps made with narrow and flex treads will make pets scared, And the sliding Dog car ramp is slipping and easy to cause injury to the joints of the dog’s feet
- 🐶【VASTILE APPLICATION 】This NEW design dog steps is suitable for most cars and SUV and trucks WITH ITS HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE MECHANISM (68-85cm), the max load-bearing capacity 80kg，Dog steps width is about 40cm. The depth varies on how much they are extended for height. It is between 16.5-20cm, wide and flat steps build confidence for your dog to walk up and down without any hesitation!
- 🐶【HIGH QUALITY DOG RAMP】This ramp for dogs are made by strong aluminum telescoping, and using rivet technology for all interface, never rworry loosen or rust, is much sturdy and solid enough, while the individual steps are finished by non slip paw-print pattern, rip-proof premium 1680D oxford fabric, soft pad and hard wooden inside. a robust and secure ramp for your dogs
- 🐶【MAXIMUM FUNCTIONALITY AND SAFETY】With the strap buckle clip to your car, you can easily adjust the folding dog steps to suit your car boot. Furthermore, double handlebar rest against your car enhance stability. COLORFEY dog steps provide a STABLE AND LARGE SURFACE to give your pet a SAFE FEELING when your pet enter and leave the car boot, At the first time, it is suggested to encourage your dog with some snacks. If you have any problem, please contact us first.
- 🐶【CARE AND SPACE-SAVING】Compared to other bulky dog ramp, our folding dog stairs combines sturdy and lightweight and is easy to fold and unfold with one hand. and save lots of space for the boot of the car
The COLORFEY dog ramp is a premium quality product that is built to last.
Made of high-quality aluminum, the dog ramp has a maximum load-bearing capacity of 80kg and can support even the heaviest dogs.
The strong aluminum frame allows you to use it for years without worrying about its stability or durability. The top step features a non slip paw-print pattern which makes it very safe for your pet to climb onto it.
TecTake 403247 Folding Car Dog Ramp
- Our practical dog ramp makes it easier for your dog to enter or exit into and out of a car
- Pace saving to store or transport
- Rubber stoppers to prevent scratches on the vehicle
- Retracted: 97 x 43 x 6.5 cm; Withdrawn: 165 x 43 x 6.5 cm
- Weight: 8 kg; Load up to 50 kg
This folding car dog ramp is perfect for making it easier for your pet to get in and out of the car.
The ramp is made of durable plastic and rubber, with a non-slip surface, and folds up for easy transport and storage.
It has rubber stoppers to prevent scratches on the vehicle, and can hold a weight up to 50 kg.
If your dog is struggling to get into or out of your car then there are many ways that you can help him.
Old age or injury does not need to prevent your dog from enjoying outings in the car whether it is just for the ride or to go for a nice walk at his favourite spot.
With careful handling or by using a ramp or stairs, your dog can still experience the fun of car journeys.
- Find the best car cage for the Skoda Fabia estate
- Dog cages for the Mini Countryman
- Dog cages for the Vauxhall Mokka
- Do dog kennels need to be insulated?
- 4 Dog cages for the Vauxhall Corsa
- How to secure your dog crate in your car
Last update on 2022-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API