There are several benefits of cod liver oil for dogs provided that the correct form of cod liver oil is used.
Dog cod liver oil supplements provide a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids as well as vitamins A and D which can help to boost the strength of bones and teeth and can also help to improve and maintain skin and coat quality.
Is cod liver oil safe for dogs?
Cod liver oil can provide your dog with a range of benefits to support his healthy growth and development but it is important to make sure that you give your dog the correct form of cod liver oil.
There have been instances, as reported in this article, that some dogs have been harmed by owners giving them cheap, capsule forms of cod liver oil, that has been manufactured for human use.
Human cod liver oil tablets contain over 3 times as many vitamins than a dog tablet, which means that if you give your dog a human capsule he can suffer an overdose which can lead to health problems.
The answer is that cod liver oil is safe as long as it is the type specifically for dogs and that you do not use human tablets or capsules.
Popular Cod Liver Oils for Dogs
How much cod liver oil do you give a dog?
The recommended daily dose of cod liver oil for dogs that do not get any other form of vitamin A and D is:
- 1/4 of a teaspoon for dogs that weigh 10 to 15 pounds.
- 1/2 teaspoon for dogs that weigh between 25 and 50 pounds.
- 1 teaspoon for dogs 50 to 75 pounds.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons for dogs 75 to 100 pounds.
- 2 teaspoons for dogs 100 pounds +.
Can I give my dog human fish oil?
It is always recommended that you only ever give your dog fish oils manufactured for dog consumption.
Human fish oil capsules and tablets normally contain higher dosages of oil and associated vitamins which make them unsuitable for dogs.
This article highlights the dangers of giving human cod liver oil to dogs.
What kind of fish oil is best for dogs?
- Best Overall: Zesty Paws Salmon Oil for Dogs & Cats
- Best Pill: Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Pet Soft Gels
- Best Liquid: Vital Pet Life Salmon Oil
- Best for Allergies: Grizzly Salmon Oil Dog Food Supplement
- Best for Coat: Pethonesty Omega 3 for Dogs
Does cod liver oil help dogs with itchy skin?
Cod liver oil contains omega-3 fatty acids which help with inflammation and provide a calming effect.
This calming effect can help to reduce the irritation that your dog might be experiencing and can help him with his itching and scratching.
The calming effects can also help to reduce redness and inflamed skin areas.
This oil also contains good sources of vitamins A and D which can help with skin and coat condition.
Can fish oil give dogs diarrhea?
Too much fish oil can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.
This article from the Journal of Veterinary Medicine provides useful information about the side effects that fish oil can cause in dogs.
- ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS, WITH VITAMINS A&D – Support for the heart, brain, eyes, joints, bones and teeth.
- SUPPORT THE HEALTH OF THE SKIN AND COAT – Cod Liver Oil also supports the maintenance of healthy skin and is often used to aid the gloss and shine of a dog’s coat.
- UNIQUE SOFT GEL CAPSULES – Our soft gel capsule products are small enough to be concealed in the meal of your pet, and are soft enough to make them difficult to detect. These are the perfect choice for owners who find it difficult to get their pets to swallow hard tablets.
- MANUFACTURED IN THE UK – UK made at Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) approved facilities for complete quality assurance of the highest standard of manufacturing.
- WHY CHOOSE VITAPAWS – We see every animal as an individual, and we understand that a one-size-fits-all approach is not always appropriate. Recognising that different cats and dogs face different challenges in terms of their health and nutrition, the team of experts at VitaPaws have developed an array of specialised products that account for the diverse and dynamic needs of our canine and feline friends.
Cod liver oil can have benefits for your dog and can help him with skin and coat as well as healthy eyes, teeth and bones.
It is important to only use cod liver oil that has been produced specifically for use with dogs and to keep your dog safe you should never use human grade products.
- Will bran flakes help my dog poo? The surprising truth revealed
- Why some dogs do better on a raw diet
- Why peanut butter is a great treat for dogs
- What you need to know about dogs and egg fried rice
- What to do if your dog eats ham
- What to do if your dog eats a whole rotisserie chicken
Last update on 2023-06-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API