There are many people who enjoy cycling with their dogs. However, there is a concern for the safety of both the person and dog while biking that doesn’t exist when running or walking.
For this reason, some owners choose to use a bike trailer instead of putting their pets in an uncomfortable harness on long rides.
The question becomes: are dog bike trailers safe?
Dog bike trailers are safe providing you act responsibly and only go take the trailer on suitable roads. All dog bike trailers come equipped with harnesses for you to secure your dog and you should ensure that you use these properly to stop your dog jumping out. Trailers are available in a range of sizes and you should only use a trailer that is big enough for your dog. Cycle in accordance with the law and be aware of other road users to stay safe.
Dog bike trailers allow you to take your dog with you on all of your adventures, without having to worry about them getting in the way or being left behind.
With a dog bike trailer, they can stay safely inside while you ride and enjoy the scenery together. And when it’s time for some exercise, they can hop out and run alongside you. It’s like taking two bikes instead of one!
Can I put my dog in a bike trailer?
As long as your dog is safely secured in the trailer and cannot jump out, and, you have proper control of your bike, then there is nothing to prevent you from taking your dog for a bike ride in a trailer.
Safety is clearly the main priority and you will need to think about where you are going to go and the types of roads that you may encounter.
You will want your journey to be as pleasant as possible for you and your dog so you should carefully think about where you wish to go and how to get there safely.
Use quiet roads, cycle lanes and, wherever possible avoid places with high traffic volumes and large, noisy vehicles.
Plan to end up somewhere where your dog can run around and enjoy himself. In my experience one of the best and safest places to cycle with a dog in a bike trailer is on the seafront, along the promenade.
These are normally safe and quiet with the added advantage of a great run on the beach or even a swim for the dog.
Do dogs like bike trailers?
At first most dogs dislike them and you will need to be patient when taking your dog out. If you take short trips to somewhere that the dog likes where he can play and enjoy himself, you will soon find that he enjoys his trailer.
Here are some tips that will help:
- Make sure that the trailer is fastened properly to your bike before you do anything else
- Put one of your dog’s blankets inside the trailer
- Add some of his favourite treats
- Include some of his toys
- Make sure that you have a dish with you and some water for him
- Fasten him in securely
- Don’t go too fast or too far at first
- Avoid anywhere where there is heavy or noisy traffic to avoid frightening him
- Pick a destination that he will enjoy – the beach is always a good choice if you can get there
What are the safest dog bike trailers?
There are many dog bike trailers available to choose from and, like many things, some are better and safer than others.
Using a trailer is a great way to bring your dog along for the ride and you’ll want to be sure that the trailer that you choose is sturdy, easy to use and suitable for your dog.
Here are our Top 5 Rated Dog Trailers.
Top 5 Dog Trailers Overview
Dogs are our furry best friends, and many people take their dog with them on bike rides. There are a number of different ways to transport your pup with you while biking, but the most common way is by using a trailer hooked up to your bike. Dog trailers can be safe for dogs if used properly!
Duramaxx King Rex Dog Trailer
Weighing in at just 27 kg, the Duramaxx King Rex trailer is ideal for hauling small to medium dogs.
With a 250-litre capacity, it can even fit larger animals up to a whopping 40 kg.
Complete with nylon upholstery and compact size that fits on all bikes weighing up to 28″, this trailer has got you covered. Schrader valves make tyre inflation quick and easy at any petrol station en route, while wheels can be removed for storage when not needed.
Thanks to its powder coated steel tube frame, water repellent base will protect your cargo from dirt while providing strength and protection for years to come.
- FOR TRANSPORTING DOGS: with 250 liters of cargo space | stable, powder-coated steel tube frame | easy transport for animals weighing up to 40 kg
- WATER REPELLENT: Nylon upholstery with non-slip, water repellent base | Schrader valves for easy air pumping at any gas station
- COMPLETE WITH FIXED COUPLING SYSTEM: fits all bikes with 26-28" | ideal for small to medium sized dogs | 16" pneumatic tires with sturdy steel spokes rim
- FUN: The King Rex bicycle trailer from DURAMAXX is the new travel favorite for your four legged friend. Never again need you do without the company of your dog on family outings. But this device also lets you introduce your pet to new regions far away from their well trampled paths.
- WHEELS CAN BE REMOVED : The 70cm long tiller is attached to the preassembled clutch quickly and easily on the rear wheel of the bicycle. This guarantees that it does not move autonomously to the vehicle. The wheels can be removed in an instant thanks to the quick-release system and the trailer can be folded away in a few simple steps. Even the drawbar can be folded, to facilitate the easy storage.
PawHut Folding Dog Bike Trailer
PawHut is committed to creating an affordable product that provides a safe “ride” for dogs and their favourite human.
This dog trailer offers windows, weather-resistant fabric on the outside, steel frame with ABS coating, and adjustable straps to ensure security during long rides.
Use the rear door to get in/out of the coop so you and your dog can feel secure at all times.
The 20” wheel size also makes its easy transportable even in tight spaces – perfect for those who love exploring with their dogs.
- PET TRAVEL ASSISTANCE: Great for older dogs and small pets and those who need assistance.
- SPACIOUS: Gives your pet plenty of room to sit and relax. STEEL FRAME: Supports up to 30kg in weight.
- MESH WINDOWS: Keeps the trailer aerated in all temperatures. OXFORD FABRIC: Weather-resistant to protect against light rain to keep your pet dry.
- EASY ACCESS: Front door with zip to get in/out hassle free. TWO 20” WHEELS: Smooth rolling and handles on/off road terrains. Releases easily for trailer to fold flat for storage.
- DIMENSIONS: 90H x 130L x 73Wcm. Cabin: 65H x 78L x 55Wcm. Assembly required.
Cocoarm Dog Bike Trailer
Cocoarm is a trending and stylish bicycle pet trailer for those who love their dogs but want to enjoy long bike rides with them.
Featured with 12 inch front wheel, 20 inch rear wheel, steel structure and waterproof and weatherproof cover among countless admirable qualities it also comes with handbrake system to have the most optimal bike experience .
Loved by its owners as well as recommended by leading professional dog breeders this pet stroller has something in store for you
- Trailer+Stroller: Combines a stroller with a trailer, meaning it can be both pushed and attached to your bike. Allows you to enjoy outdoor time with your children. Also can be used as a jogger with three wheels.
- Waterproof cover: Oxford fabric is based on steel structure, equipped with waterproof and weatherproof cover, can provide shade and protect animals from sun and rain. The pet stroller is easy to enter and well ventilated, pets can easily enter through the front/rear zippered doors and head out
- Has many uses: 2 in 1 design, the bicycle trailer can be used as a jogging stroller pushed in while running, or it can be connected to a bicycle as a bicycle trailer
- Safe and Convenient: Bicycle Trailer Comes with a connector to connect the bicycle and trailer together. Additional safety signs can provide high safety traffic and visibility in low light conditions
- Handbrake system 16 Two 16-inch rear wheels and 360-degree rotating universal front wheels ensure a smooth ride. With a convenient integrated handbrake system, the pet trailer can be securely attached
dibea Bicycle Trailer for Dogs
The steel tube frame makes the dibea bicycle trailer for dog very solid.
Two reflectors on the front and back provide increased visibility at night or in low-light conditions, and a fly screen offers mosquito and insect protection while you are biking.
The warning pennant also helps to alert other cyclists of your presence when you’re out riding with your companion.
There is lots of space in this bike trailer for dogs, which makes it perfect for longer bike trips or taking puppies or older dogs along with you!
- Dog bicycle trailer, construction/inner dimensions approx. 76 x 61 x 47 cm L, W, H. Sturdy tubular steel frame, a robust cover made of water-repellent Oxford fabric; ideal for outdoor dog cycling tours
- Safety: The robust Oxford fabric protects your pet from weather, wind and rain. In addition, this trailer has a fly screen insect protection, warning flag, two reflectors on the front and back
- Easy to put on and take off: thanks to the zips, the dog trailer can be easily opened at the front and back. On the front there is an additional rain cover
- The universal coupling is suitable for most common bicycle types. The hanger can be easily folded and transported
- This bicycle buggy is ideal for longer bike tours and for young or older dogs
Burley Design Tail Wagon Bicycle Trailer
The Burley Design Tail Wagon is a smart and easy way to bicycle travel around town or on a bike camping adventure.
The Roll-up cover with zippers has mesh windows for maximum air flow, cargo pockets for pet gear and flip down tailgate.
Details like the removable flooring which covers the entire area inside make it easy to clean up after your pup, while 16″ Spoked Alloy Wheels are rugged and durable.
This excellent product is packed with awesome features that make all of us thrilled we have one!
Dog trailers are safe providing that you choose the correct sized trailer for your dog.
All of the trailers above have been tried and tested and you can be sure that they are suitable, well made and safe for your dog.
Remember to ride safely and to avoid overly busy roads so that you and your dog get the best cycling experience.
Last update on 2021-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API