As rice is a safe food for dogs many people wonder if rice milk is something that they can give to their canines as an alternative to regular cow’s milk.
Rice milk is perfectly safe to give to dogs to drink. It should be used sparingly and your dog should take his main fluid intake from fresh water. Natural, organic and unsweetened rice milk should only ever be given to dogs and you should check the ingredients of any form of rice milk that you may be considering. Rice milk can be good for dogs that have upset tummies.
What is rice milk?
Many commercially produced rice milks have added sugars and sweeteners, along with other artificial flavourings and you should never give these to dogs to drink. Only give organic, natural rice milk.
You can produce your own rice milk at home by boiling rice in a pan of water and then blending the cooked rice and liquid to produce a liquid.
This liquid can then be given to your dog as is or you can filter it to make a more milk like liquid without the rice pulp which is also suitable.
How much rice milk can a dog have?
Your dog’s daily fluid intake should always be water as this is the most natural and best source of hydration for a dog.
There are times when you might want to give your dog an alternative drink such as rice milk and there is nothing wrong with doing this occasionally for your dog and a small quantity once a week would be enough for the average dog.
Rice milk is suitable for dogs that are lactose intolerant and it can also help dogs that hve tummy upsets and diarrhea.
How do you give rice milk to a dog?
The easiest and best way to serve rice milk to your dog is via his normal water dish.
Empty the dish of water and replace it with the rice milk. Let your dog drink as normal.
If you normally add water to your dog’s food then you can replace this with the rice milk – but only do this for about one meal a week.
Any milk that is left over should be thrown away.
Rice Milk for Dogs Overview
1. Rude Health Organic Rice Milk
- DAIRY FREE, FLAVOUR FULL. Rice milk that’s naturally sweet, silky & full of flavour.
- NATURAL & ORGANIC. Made with 4 natural ingredients; nothing artificial, nothing refined.
- GLUTEN FREE. Soy free, non GMO, plant based drink.
- WHOLE GRAIN. Made with whole grain brown rice.
- HOW WE LIKE IT. Great in all kinds of dishes; from coffee, cereal and smoothies to savoury dishes and desserts.
2. Rice Dream Natural Rice Milk
3. Rice Dream Original Organic Rice Milk
- A refreshing delicious beverage made from rice
- With a flavour that appeals to the whole family
- Enjoy it chilled by the glass or on your favourite breakfast cereals
- Can also be used for cooking, soups and sauces
- A pure source of energy that nourishes the body and vitalises the spirit
4. Provamel Organic Rice Milk
- A tasty blend of water and organic rice
- Naturally low in saturated fat
- It does not contain any artificial colours, flavours, preservatives or sweeteners
- It does not contain any lactose or cow’s milk proteins
- A delicious alternative to dairy milk
Rice milk is safe for dogs to drink so long as it is organic with no added sweeteners, sugar or preservatives.
You should only give your dog small amounts of rice milk and only on the odd occasion, perhaps once a week.
Make sure that your dog’s main source of fluid intake is from fresh water.
Rice is also an ingredient in almond milk and you can read here about giving almond milk to a dog.
- Can Dogs Eat Seafood?
- Can Dogs Eat Tomato Soup?
- Can Dogs Eat Oatmeal?
- Can Dogs Eat Noodles?
- Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas?
- Can Dogs Eat Seaweed?
Last update on 2023-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API